The Royal Geological Society of Cornwall is the second oldest Geological Society in the world, founded in 1814 and based in Penzance. We have an archive and collection and are looking for someone to work on a temporary basis to advise and initiate work on bringing this into a digital and accessible format.
Remit for professional work by librarian/archivist:
1) Advise on how best the Transactions can be digitised and made available for use for research, e.g. by addition to Google Scholar and other search services.
2) Carry out preparation work towards this, such as making a record of the Transactions in the Old Fire Station in suitable bibliographic form for library / research use.
3) Advise on sources of funding for digitisation and how to apply for these.
4) Review the maps, diagrams and Society records in the Old Fire Station, Penzance and suggest which are important to archive, digitise and/or donate to Kerson Kernow.
This collection consists of: (a) maps and diagrams – probably drawn for the Transactions – that might be worth archiving (Kresen Kernow); (b) Society records of meetings, payments etc. Some similar older materials are already in Kresen Kernow.
5) Catalogue the small book collection & advise on financial value.
6) Advise how to proceed regarding archive materials and possible volunteer projects and /or professional projects including digitisation.
We have put aside £1,000 for a temporary contract.
We will discuss the hourly rate with any applicants, depending on skill and availability.
Our hope is to have the work done this spring, but this will, of necessity, run into the summer of 2021. The hours are flexible and there is an office in Penzance which can be used independently, without having contact with other persons, so is Covid-19 secure. We will agree the hours and extent of the work with applicants.
Extension of this contract will depend on the advice we receive and the decision for future action, which might include grant applications to cover further work.
We have some volunteers, so an ability to guide and work with volunteers is sought.
Knowledge & Understanding
If you are interested in this role, please respond to ‘The Secretary, RGSC’ at email@example.com with an outline of your experience and availability by 30th January 2021.
– Linda Beskeen; Secretary, RGSC