Find the answers to the most commonly asked questions. If you have any questions not covered here, please let us know and we will do our best to provide an answer.


Where can I get guidance for freelancers, employers, charities and businesses about coronavirus?

The links below will take you to the best sources of advice if you are a freelancer, employer, charity or business;

Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Growth Hub

Charity Commission


Where can I find information about financial support for my museum?

There are several financial support resources available for you to apply for.

Heritage Emergency Fund

Arts Council England

Association of Independent Museums


What are the symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19)?

Do not leave your home if you have either:

  1. a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  2. a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)

Anyone with these symptoms should self-isolate (do not leave the house) for 7 days from the first day you are sick. If someone in your household has it, it’s 14 days from the first day you were sick. You do not need to go to your GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital and you do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying home. However, should symptoms get worse, or do not clear up after 14-days, continue to stay home and contact the 111 Coronavirus service for further advice.


What are the three new measures which the government have introduced?

  1. A requirement for people to stay home, except for very limited purposes
  2. Closing certain businesses and venues
  3. Stopping all gatherings of more than two people in public

What are the limited purposes that I can leave home for?

  1. Shopping for basic necessities, such as food and medication. This must be as infrequent as possible.
  2. One form of daily exercise, for example a run, walk or to go cycling. This must be alone or with members of your household only.
  3. Medical needs which includes blood donation, to escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
  4. Travelling for work purposes, but only if you cannot work from home.

Further Guidance


What is social distancing?

Social distancing measures are steps in which you can take to reduce the social interaction between people.

  1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying the symptoms of COVID-19
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport where possible
  3. Work from home where possible
  4. Avoid large and small gatherings in public spaces
  5. Avoid gatherings with family and friends
  6. When out for your daily exercise, stay at least 2metres (6 feet) away from people


Government Guidance

The Government have put in place Guidance for employees, employers and businesses in providing advice about the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19.

Below is a summary of the various measures that have been put in place.


What am I eligible for under the Self-employment Income Support Scheme?

  1. Those eligible will receive a cash grant worth 80% of their average monthly trading profit over the last three years, up to £2500 a month
  2. The scheme will be open to those with a trading profit of less than £50,000 in 2018/19 or an average trading profit of less than £50,000 from 2016/17, 2017/18 and 2018/19
  3. Grants will be paid in a single lump sum instalment covering all 3 months and will start to be paid at the beginning of June.


What is the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme?

All UK employers (you must have created and started a PAYE payroll scheme on or before 28 February 2020 and have a UK bank account) will be able to access support to continue paying part of their employees; salary for those employees who would otherwise have been laid off during this crisis. HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed (granted leave of absence or temporary release) workers’ wage costs up to £2500 a month. Where employers receive public funding for staff costs, and that funding is continuing, we expect employers to use that money to continue to pay staff in the usual fashion – and correspondingly not furlough them.


What do employers need to do to be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme?

  1. Designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers’ and notify employees of this change. Changing the status of employees remains subject to existing employment law depending on the employment contract, and may be subject to negotiation
  2. Employers must select employees for furlough in a fair way to avoid any discrimination
  3. Submit information to HMRC about the employees that have been furloughed and their earnings through a new online portal. HMRC will set out details on the information required.

Further Guidance


What is the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme?

The Scheme has been set up to support SMEs to access bank lending and overdrafts, the government will provide lenders with a guarantee of 80% on each loan (subject to a per-lender cap on claims) to give lenders confidence in providing finance to SMEs.

The government will not charge businesses or banks for this guarantee, and the Scheme will support loans of up to £5 million in value. Businesses can access the first 12 months of that finance interest free.

Further Guidance


What can I do to look after my health and wellbeing during the coronavirus pandemic?

While it is important to stay up to date with the latest COVID-19 (Coronavirus) advice and guidance, it is equally important to manage your mental health and wellbeing. Here are some useful links with further ideas on looking after your mental health;

Callywith College




If you have any questions not covered above, please let us know and we will do our best to provide an answer.

Best wishes,
The CMP Team.